Important Notice (19 March 2020)
As we are sure you are aware the situation around the COVID-19 outbreak is evolving rapidly and the RAD has been actively monitoring government advice and guidance. We have carried out risk assessments across all RAD activities (including Benesh International) as our primary concern remains the health and wellbeing of our worldwide staff, members, students and the wider community.
For that reason, we have unfortunately decided that the Benesh International Congress on 22-24 May 2020 cannot go ahead as planned. We are contacting all those affected by this decision via email and appreciate your patience at this time.
Between the lines: The Art of Choreology
Taking place every four years, this is a rare opportunity for Benesh professionals, students and those interested in Benesh Movement Notation (BMN) from all over the world to gather together, connect and discuss the latest developments within the Benesh community. This is the first congress to be hosted by the newly re-branded Benesh International, formally known as the Benesh Institute, and is one of the landmark projects in the RAD’s centenary celebrations.
For Between the lines: The Art of Choreology, we are planning a vibrant and varied schedule combining lectures, participatory workshops, carousel sessions, round tables and daily plenary sessions – as well as time to meet and network with the global Benesh community. The congress will be book-ended with an Introductory course to BMN on 21 May and a Benesh Exams Discovery Day on 25 May. Note: these courses must be booked separately to the Congress.
Speakers and Schedule
Click here to view the confirmed schedule for the Benesh International Congress, filled with lectures, workshops and sessions on various topics:
- exploring the use of BMN in recording circus props, by Katrin Wolf from the National Circus Centre of France (Cnac)
- discussing bringing Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s early works back to the stage with Diana Curry, Jane Elliot and Mayumi Hotta
- led by RAD Artistic Director, Gerard Charles, a panel of former and current choreologists will talk about working in the footsteps of Rudolf and Joan Benesh
- Amanda Eyles will be joined by choreographer Wayne McGregor to talk about the use of notation and the use of video in preserving works
- practical workshops led by Cristina Cabral, Gregory Mislin, Romain Panassié and Yuri Uchiumi
- elements of BMN theory explored by Amanda Eyles, Maria Jimenez and Eliane Mirzabekiantz
- a lecture on BMN in the wider field of dance research, given by Victoria Watts
- a ‘Difficult Conversations’ workshop, led by Personal and Executive Coach, and Director of Coaching at DCD, Isabel Mortimer
There will also be announcements and updates from the Benesh International team – introducing a new Benesh International membership, notating score guidelines and procedures and Benesh Legacy Rights – and BMN training and technologies carousels.
In addition, there will be a chance for Benesh Alumni from around the world to take part in a reunion and networking opportunities.
Roehampton University in London is situated on the edge of Richmond Park, south of Hammersmith Bridge and with close links from London Waterloo, offering interchangeable conference space and a selection of modern and historic venues. Roehampton Elm Grove is situated in the stunning parkland campus of Roehampton University. Benesh International Congress spaces include:
- Oak Suite holding up to 140 people (which can be then split into three individual meeting rooms),
- A dance studio
- Lime Tree Suite top floor catering suite, breakout area
- 30 ensuite bedrooms within the conference centre for guests
Just a five-minute bus ride from Barnes mainline station with direct links to central London (London Waterloo and Clapham Junction) and five minutes from the A3. There are also regular bus services from Putney, Wimbledon and Hammersmith which all have underground stations direct to central London – only 15 minutes away. It is also within easy reach of Heathrow and Gatwick airport and has a number of car parking spaces available on site.