29 October 2022 10am – 1pm
Breaking Down and Building Up – Approaches to the Training of Advanced Pointe Work (London)
Breaking Down and Building Up – Approaches to the Training of Advanced Pointe Work is a practice-based workshop designed to increase teacher confidence when approaching the teaching of pointe work at advanced levels of ballet training.
Participants will explore and analyse the vocabulary included in the RAD Advanced 1 and 2 pointe sections of the examination syllabi. Along with creating and discussing training exercises to assist with the demands of the set exercises demonstrated in the RAD Advanced 1 and 2 syllabi, participants will examine some of the strategies and approaches for bridging the gap between the demands at RAD Intermediate level and Advanced 1 and Advanced 2 levels of training. Participants will also be invited to reflect on their experiences of teaching pointe work at advanced levels of training, and to share teaching strategies and innovative practices with other participants.
The aims of this activity are to:
- enhance the participants’ knowledge and understanding of Advanced pointe work including the training of virtuosic elements of technique and performance, and
- share and discuss ideas on creating and teaching preparatory exercises to assist the training of the Advanced 1 and 2 Pointe Enchaînements.
On completion of the activity, you will have:
- an increased understanding of the challenges inherent in the execution of pointe work at Advanced level,
- a greater understanding of how Advanced pointe work can be broken down to inform and enhance selected sections of the set exercises and variations as presented in RAD Advanced 1 and Advanced 2, and
- developed skills and strategies to create preparatory training exercises for Advanced level students.
RAD headquarters, London SW11 3JZ
Please note, we have a host of measures in place to ensure we all stay safe.
Participants should have a working knowledge of the exercises and enchaînements in the pointe work sections of Advanced 1 and 2.
Fiona Sheehan BA (Hons) MA LRAD FISTD
Following an undergraduate degree at the RAD where she was awarded the Jerwood Foundation Prize for Outstanding Student, Fiona completed postgraduate study in dance at Trinity Laban.
Fiona has taught widely in a number of schools and colleges in both the public and private sectors and is principal of a large school in Northamptonshire. Her pupils have been accepted into many dance schools and colleges, including the Royal Ballet School (White Lodge and Upper School), English National Ballet School, and Elmhurst School for Dance, and can be found in dance companies across the UK and Europe.
Fiona has examined worldwide for the RAD since 2003 and has taught at its International Summer School. She is also a member of the RAD Educational Subcommittee.
3 hours Time-Valued CPD
Members of the Royal Academy of Dance receive discounts on all CPD activities.
How to book
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the above, please contact the CPD Team, email@example.com
Book now (Sterling)
Book now (Euro)
Book now (US Dollars)
Also taking place on the same weekend…
An audience of teachers, family and friends are welcome to attend the RAD Dance Challenge performance on the morning of Sunday, 30 October and to attend the performance of The Bedells Bursary candidates in the afternoon.
|10am – 1pm||Member Fee: £65/€75/$78 |
Non-Member Fee: £91/€105/$110