31 July 2023 - 5 August 2023
Senior Summer School 2023 (London)
Step into a world of dance this summer!
Come and enjoy a fun-filled week of dancing with us this summer. This programme is designed for young aspiring dancers. It provides an opportunity for students to immerse themselves in dance, learning within a creative environment, from top professional teachers in the industry whilst making friends with like-minded students from the UK and abroad. The week will enhance students’ dance technique and artistry and culminates in a sharing of work on the final day of the course—all taking place within the Academy’s world-class purpose-built studios and facilities.
Highlights of the programme include:
- A trip to see a performance at one of London’s top dance theatres
- Experience a variety of dance styles, with a strong focus on ballet technique, building into classical repertoire, contemporary technique, and musical theatre
- Develop your skills in the performing arts
- The chance to be taught by professional teachers with years of experience within the industry
- Attend practical and engaging sessions led by our experienced Faculty of Education Tutors based on ‘The Healthy Dancer’ and ‘Performance Improvement’
- Be inspired in a Q&A session with a professional dancer
- The opportunity to perform to friends and family in the Aud Jebsen Studio Theatre at our purpose-built headquarters
With great National International travel connections, RAD London welcomes you to immerse yourself in a full-programme of dance each summer.Book Now
|RAD Intermediate - Advanced 2, or the equivalent||up to age 25||1 week: Monday - Saturday (half-day on Saturday)||Tuition only: £520 per week ||19 June 2023 12:00pm|
Who can attend?
Senior Summer School students should currently be studying the Vocational Graded ballet syllabus Intermediate up to Advanced 2, or the equivalent, and therefore be familiar with the ballet terminology and phrases at Intermediate level or above. There is no audition, selection, or elimination process. Students will be grouped by the Artistic Team according to their age and the information provided on their application relating to their Grade in ballet and other dance experience. Please ensure your application is accurate.
Students can be studying the RAD ballet syllabus or another ballet syllabus, and are not required to have RAD Membership to be eligible to attend the London Summer School. Please review our syllabus vocabulary if you are unsure what level they are currently studying.
Are you studying Grade 2 – Inter-Foundation ballet, or equivalent? See our London Junior Summer School.
- Monday 31 July – Saturday 5 August 2023
Closing date: Monday 5 June 2023
The Summer School will be held at our purpose-built studios in London. Full address details below:
Royal Academy of Dance headquarters
188 York Road
All students will start the day with a body conditioning Pilates or yoga class, followed by:
- non-syllabus ballet technique
- ballet repertoire
- contemporary technique & creative dance
- musical theatre
- Students will also receive two sessions led by our Faculty of Education Team throughout the week and attend a Q&A with a professional dancer in the industry.
Yoga/Pilates classes are 1 hour in duration. Musical Theatre and Contemporary/Creative classes are 1 hour and 15 minutes in duration and Ballet & Repertoire classes will vary throughout the week ranging from 1.5 hours in duration to 2.5 hours in duration per day.
Please see an example timetable of what a day at the Senior Summer School may look like.
Monday-Friday: 9.30am – 5.15pm
Saturday: 9.30am – 3.00pm
- Students will have a short morning and afternoon break with a longer lunch break in the middle of the day.
- The theatre trip will take place on Wednesday be a later finish.
- On Saturday the tuition hours vary for the parent open day.
- A full timetable will be included in the final Information Pack sent to all attendees following the closing date.
As part of the Senior Summer School students will attend an evening performance at one of London’s top dance theatres with pizza provided at the RAD beforehand. Please note, coaches will be provided to escort all students to the theatre and parents must collect students under 18 from the theatre after the show.
For our 2023 Senior Summer School students will attend an evening performance of Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet at Sadler’s Wells Theatre.
Wednesday 2nd August – 7.30pm
Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet gives Shakespeare’s timeless story of forbidden love a scintillating injection of raw passion and youthful vitality. Confined against their will by a society that seeks to divide, our two young lovers must follow their hearts as they risk everything to be together. A masterful re-telling of an ageless tale of teenage discovery and the obsession of first love, Romeo and Juliet received universal critical acclaim when it premiered in 2019 (Sadler’s Wells, 2022).
One tuition award will be presented to a student (at any level) who has shown significant improvement at the RAD Senior Summer School. The award is one week’s tuition at an RAD Summer School in 2024 or 2025.
The Summer School team consists of Graduates of the RAD Professional Dance Teachers Diploma, teachers at the RAD Dance School, professional Dance Artists, performers and choreographers working in Vocational Dance Schools and in the West End. All tutors have many years of experience working with student dancers to develop their technique, bring out their creativity and further their love of movement and dance. Find out who the tutors are.
Students must bring a packed lunch each day as this will not be provided. Snacks and drinks will be available for students during the breaks. All dietary requirements should be submitted at the time of applying. We will share menu details for the onsite cafe in the Information Pack, should students wish to purchase their lunch onsite.
The RAD does not organise accommodation for students, however, if you are looking for somewhere close by to stay, you may find our List of Accommodation helpful.
- Sibling discounts: Two sibling students: 10% off total cost of tuition fee, and three or more sibling students: 20% off total cost of tuition fees. Please contact the Learning and Participation Team by emailing email@example.com to retrieve the discount code.
- Group discounts: A 10% discount will be applied to the total cost of tuition fees for groups of 10-15 students within the same price band. For groups of 10 or more students please contact the Learning and Participation team to secure you places by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, group bookings are limited to 15 students per group per week.
Please ensure you check the ticket details carefully. If the ticket you wish to book appears sold out, please apply online for the ‘Waiting List’ ticket. The will contact you should a suitable place become available.
Please ensure you have read our Summer Events Terms & Conditions carefully before you apply. You will need to confirm your acceptance of these terms when you register your place.
The RAD uses Cvent for ticketing and registration for events (including workshops, masterclasses, CPD, and a range of free activities). We only store your personal information in order to facilitate your attendance and to request feedback. We will not use your information to contact you unless you have opted to receive marketing materials or have signed up for our e-newsletter. For further details on how your information is processed, please see the Student Activities Privacy Notice.
Please note, in the event of injury or medical emergency during the activity a qualified First Aider from Royal Academy of Dance will provide necessary treatment and assistance to the participant. Please see our Terms & Conditions for further information on this.