23 October 2019 10:00 - 17:00
The Karsavina Heritage (London)
This one day workshop will give participants insights into Tamara Karsavina’s unique ballet syllabus created for the three year Teachers’ Training Course of the Royal Academy of Dance (1954). Through exploration and discussion of the principles which inform the Karsavina Syllabus, participants will gain an appreciation of Karsavina’s inestimable influence on ballet as an art form and her generosity in caring about the future of ballet through enhancing the training ballet teachers. The workshop provides a unique and valuable opportunity for developing teaching and performance skills from the cradle of ballet’s history.
- Gain an appreciation of Tamara Karsavina’s influence on ballet as an art form and the teaching of ballet
- Engage with aspects of the Karsavina Syllabus through practice to inform and inspire the mastery of ballet technique
On completion of the workshop participants will:
- have a basic knowledge and understanding of Karsavina’s teaching philosophies and thinking which underpin the Karsavina Syllabus
- be able to incorporate the teaching of basic principles of selected exercises drawn from the Karsavina Syllabus in the teaching of ballet
- have a greater understanding of how aspects of Karsavina’s thoughts on the teaching of ballet can be incorporated into ballet classes in an interactive, accessible and inclusive manner
- have an understanding of artistry, music and interpretation within ballet training
- have gained critical analytical skills to reflect upon and enhance ballet teaching skills
- have gained knowledge of the Karsavina heritage
- be able to value and appreciate Karsavina’s contribution to ballet as an art form and historical legacies of ballet teaching
RAD headquarters, London, SW11 3RA
- Gillian Anthony
- Virginia Parkinson
8 hours Time-Valued CPD
Members of the Royal Academy of Dance receive discounts on all CPD activities.
How to apply
For further details on how your information is processed, please see the CPD Privacy Notice.
Please see our Terms and Conditions.Book Now
|10:00 - 17:00||Member Fee: £121.50 |
Non-Member Fee: £170
Who can attend?
Graduates of LRAD, BA (Hons) Art and Teaching of Ballet and BA (Hons) Ballet Education.
RAD Registered Teachers.
Experienced ballet teachers from other Dance Awarding Organisations/training establishments.