Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.
  • Share this page

Frequently asked questions

Find answers here to commonly asked questions about our work and activities.
Up to eight students can attend a single private lesson.

Private Lessons offer an opportunity for one-to-one coaching on syllabus or non-syllabus work for students and teachers. The sessions can assist with preparing for exams, studying a new syllabus or generally enhancing skills.

The content of Private lessons are usually RAD Syllabi-based, however, content can include Jazz, Tap, Contemporary, Musical Theatre. 

There is a limit of 26 students per class.

For more than eight students, a tailor-made Personalised Programme can be arranged.

The minimum duration of lessons is one hour and students can have unlimited lessons depending on faculty and studio availability.

Personalised Programmes can span more than one day and can include more than one lesson per day. 

See our personalised programmes page for more information.

Run over either five consecutive days, two or five Sundays, either at RAD headquarters or regionally.

Students participate in a syllabus class followed by a pointe work class for females and a virtuosity class for males. The classes are designed for intensive study of the syllabus in preparation for exams.

Who can attend: Students who are preparing for Vocational Graded exams. Please note that students must have a thorough knowledge of the syllabus in order to benefit from these courses.


  • 5-day course - 2 ¾ hour class per day
  • 2-day course - 2 hour class per day
PRS stands for ‘Performing Right Society’, an organisation which collects money on behalf of composers and publishers.

To play music in public, you need a PRS licence, unless all the music that you play is out of copyright, or not licensed by the PRS. This is such an unlikely situation as to be almost impossible: even ‘Happy Birthday’ is in copyright, and requires a PRS licence when sung in public. 

We recommend that teachers obtain a ‘blanket’ licence from PRS to cover their music use for all classes, including RAD syllabus.

Although some RAD syllabus music is out of copyright, or is owned by the RAD, there are increasingly parts of the syllabus or related resources which are the copyright of third parties, and require a licence. The RAD itself has a PRS licence for the same reason.

No. The only circumstances under which PRS (and PPL) will agree to a waiver of charges is for those classes where all the music used is out of copyright or the property of an Association who are not PRS publisher members.

It is in the nature of a blanket licence to cover you for the use of one piece, or a hundred. 

We now consider it in the best interests of our members to advise them to get a blanket music licence which will cover them for all potential music use.

The musical content of the RAD syllabus and teachers’ use of music are constantly changing, and the best way to ensure compliance and freedom of choice is to obtain a blanket licence.

If you never use recorded music, you won’t need a PPL licence.

PRS and PPL have come together to form PPL PRS Ltd and have launched TheMusicLicence, which handles the arrangement of public performance licences and collection of royalties on behalf of their members. The aim is for to make it easier for customers by only dealing with one manager at one point in the year, resulting in one single licence rather than two.

Further information can be found on their website

RAD graded and vocational exams remain exempt from music licensing.

A ProDub Licence is a joint licence issued by PPL and PRS for Music, which for an annual fee gives you the right to make copies of music on to blank CDs, a laptop, an MP3 player and so on for use in classes.

Although you can transfer your CDs to an iPod or similar device for your personal use, as soon as the use of the music becomes commercial, you must pay a licence fee. If you use an iPod or similar digital music storage device in your class, you will need a ProDub licence.

The notion of ‘educational’ or ‘fair’ use of music only applies in non-commercial educational contexts, and only when the music is being used in order to teach about music.

Dance teaching in the private sector is viewed as a commercial activity, for which music licences are required.