13 April 2022 09:49
Join us for an open day at our new home of dance
We are warming up for an open day in our brand new, state of the art home in Battersea.
On Sunday 8 May, we will throw open our doors and host a range of free activities from 10am-4pm. We recently moved to our new home of dance on York Road in Battersea, so this is an exciting opportunity for the local community to explore everything we have to offer. All ages and abilities are welcome, there is something to suit the whole family.
Activities scheduled to take place on the day include:
- A special screening of new animation and live-action film Coppelia, which stars RAD President Dame Darcey Bussell, who will lead a Q and A about the film at the event
- Dance performances in the 193 seat Aud Jebsen Studio Theatre
- Taster workshops for children in a range of dance styles, including hip hop, contemporary, musical theatre and more
- Ballet and Storytelling workshops for younger children aged 3-6, the perfect introduction to movement and dance, whilst exploring the story of a ballet classic
- There’s opportunity for adults to get moving too, with pilates taster classes, African dance and drumming workshops, and a Move to the Musicals class- a jazz inspired class specially designed for over 55s
- Visitors will also be able to explore the RAD’s archives, with objects and images to be displayed which celebrate over 100 years of dance history
- The RAD shop will be open for all to stock up on dance related goodies, as well as specialist dancewear for anyone inspired to keep dancing
In a first for the RAD, there will also be an open audition taking place on the day. Young people aged 4-17 who live in Wandsworth are invited to take part in an open class, observed by Dame Darcey Bussell and a panel of dance professionals. Up to three dancers will be selected to have free dance tuition at our new state-of-the-art home and will have the cost of uniform covered.
For more information about the event and to book, visit: www.homefordance.org.