Resources to support you
Below are a variety of resources aimed at supporting students, parents and teachers on their journey in dance.
Advice and inspiration
- Hear from Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador about his experience of being the only male dancer in a sea of pink. Read here.
- Boys in Ballet, by Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador.
- Winner of the Project B Dance Challenge, James Bamford, shares his perspective around the stigma surrounding boys in dance, watch this YouTube video.
- A country teenager who took up dancing on the advice of his singing teacher has stunned some of the biggest names in ballet. Read more.
- Famous male stars with a background in ballet
Read this BBC article highlighting male stars who have a background in ballet, including Rio Ferdinand and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Mentoring for Dancers, Teachers and Choreographers
One Dance UK offer mentoring schemes for dancers, teachers and choreographers. Keep an eye on their webpage for details of when applications open.
- Why are so many male dance students still bullied today?
Read this article from Dance Magazine.
- How to cope if you’re being bullied, by Dance Magazine.
- Ditch the Label is an international anti-bullying charity. Visit their website to view articles and support guides here. Or visit their Support Community where you can register for help from a trained mentor.
- Advice from Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador, on teaching boys. Read here.
- Preventing Bullying online CPD course
This online programme aims to help you understand, recognise and prevent bullying behaviour. Looking at evidence from research, you will cover who may be affected, the effects of bullying and how to prevent bullying in organisations, as well as what you can do as an individual to play your part. This online activity is worth 4 hours of Time-Valued CPD and can be completed in your own time. For more information or to book, click here.
If you have questions about the RAD’s Project B initiative, contact us.
- ‘Dear RAD, I wanted to say a massive thank you for giving my son William the opportunity to take part in your Project B event on 21st October. What an amazing event it was and it meant so much to William to be with like-minded boys sharing a love of dance. What a privilege it was for them to work with Iain Mackay, who is a superb role model, and to meet Wayne Sleep too. The RAD staff were just brilliant and we really felt part of a fantastic team. This event and the Boys Only events have really inspired and motivated William […] we will look out for more events with RAD.’
Helen, parent of William, Project B participant
- ‘I have been doing Project B with my student and he loves the fun choreography combined with the technical elements of ballet. Wonderful idea, and thank you for making him feel special!’
Teacher of Project B participant
- ‘Thank you for such a wonderful day, Harry thoroughly enjoyed himself and has come away very inspired, so lovely for all the boys to dance together! It was so well organised and Iain was so encouraging during the rehearsals and made it all fun! I hope Harry can participate in more events like this or come to a masterclass soon.’
Ali, Parent of Project B participant Harry
- @digiduckUK Replying to @iainmackaydance @RADheadquarters - 'What yourself and RAD are doing with #RADProjectB is truly brilliant, boys should be encouraged to dance, as much as girls are to play footy.'
- @atodescobond Replying to @RADheadquarters - 'My son had such a GREAT time at #RADProjectB this weekend in London at The Place and we felt so proud watching him and seeing how far he has progressed. Thank you to everyone who was involved.'
- @HFullyLove1 Fantastic to see @iainmackaydance continuing to advocate for young boys in dance and helping to end stereotypes/ stigmas #RADProjectB
- '[Project B Day of Dance was] Amazing! Myself and the 6 boys had the most incredible day! The boys are so inspired and loved being a part of something so special with so many other boys! The atmosphere throughout the whole day was brilliant, everyone so supportive and the boys immediately all bonded as a 50+ strong team!!! Fantastic all of you!!!!!'
Natalie, teacher of Project B Day of Dance participants
- 'Absolutely fantastic [Project B Day of Dance]! So great to see so many boys so passionate about dance! My son loved every second of the whole day.'
Joy, mother of Project B Day of Dance participant