Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.
  • Share this page

Before you apply

Knowing what information you need in order to apply for a place with the RAD can seem daunting. The following allows you to plan for your application and will help you understand what you need in order to be part of an expanding and exciting group of future dance teachers.

Planning your application

There are two routes to apply for a place on one of our programmes. One is through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service, UCAS ( UCAS is a UK-wide service for undergraduate and postgraduate Higher Education programmes of study. The other route is applying directly to us by using our own application documentation. There is no application fee if you are applying to the Faculty of Education (FoE) directly, but UCAS charges a fee to register with them.

Which route is the right one for you will depend on the programme of study that you choose. You will find information on both routes under How to apply.  

As you will see under ‘After you apply’, the application process usually has several steps. Most of them involve the FoE directly. Depending on your programme of choice, you may also need to contact other organisations or agencies, in order to meet your offer conditions. Some steps of the application process have a fee or cost. 

Which programme? will help you decide which programme is for you. On the programme pages, you will find information on the programme delivery, content, and assessment. as well as entry requirements. 

Across all programmes, we expect you to have a minimum of Intermediate in the relevant dance genre. If you are applying for a place on the Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies (CBTS), you will need to explain in your personal statement your own training in ballet and show in detail how you are able to embody the RAD syllabus or how you are obtaining the relevant ballet skills prior to the start of the programme.

Most of our programmes will also ask for other qualifications. In a few instances, you may apply through a concessionary route if you do not already have, or are currently studying for, the required qualifications.

In addition to the entry requirements, we expect applicants to have certain skills and qualities. The selection criteria are tailored to each programme and tell you what we look for in applicants, advice on how applicants can best show that they meet the criteria, and details regarding auditions, interviews, offers, registration and accommodation.

Usually, our applicants have some dance teaching experience before they study with us. However, if you do not have direct experience as a dance teacher before you apply for a place on one of our programmes, there are still things you can do to prepare. You can offer to be a chaperone or class assistant at the dance school where you go to classes yourself. You can observe your own dance teacher: how do they teach your class? How do they correct you and the other students in your class? How do they introduce new steps or dance routines? How do they manage behaviour in and outside of the dance studio?

Some of our programmes of study hold auditions as part of the application process. Auditions normally take place at RAD headquarters in London. If we invite you to an audition, there is usually an audition fee to be paid to Registry. Please plan your travel and, if you need, accommodation, in advance. If you are an overseas applicant and are sending an audition video, you’ll have to meet the cost of posting your video and supporting documentation to us, as well as the telephone interview.

Successful applicants are made an offer of a place on the programme. The offer normally has conditions that tend to reflect the entry requirements for the programme of study. If you are offered a place and would like to accept it, you are required to pay a non-refundable registration fee for most programmes to secure the place. Please check whether the registration fee is required in your case, as well as how to payIf you are not satisfied with the outcome of your application, please contact the Registrar directly.

If you receive a conditional offer of a place for one of our programmes, you may find the following information useful on how to go about meeting the conditions of the offer:

The minimum requirement for all our programmes of study is Intermediate (or the equivalent) in dance or ballet. For most programmes, you will be required to give evidence of your executant skills in dance or ballet by providing us with a dance examination certificate. As you probably know already, dance societies have set examination dates and centres and charge an examination fee. If you have never taken a dance examination, please read our general regulations on mature students, whether you can meet the dance entry requirement for your programme of choice by concessionary entry, and what the conditions, deadlines and fees are.

Some of our programmes require that applicants provide us with a recent satisfactory police or criminal records check. Registry will need to see the original of your police or criminal records check before your programme starts. The time it takes for the check to be issued can vary greatly from country to country. Please make sure you request it on time. In most countries, the authorities charge a fee for the service. If you live in the UK, it is most likely that you will need a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS,) or that you are registered with the DBS update service. Applications for Enhanced Disclosure are made through an umbrella body that is registered with the DBS. For the RAD, Due Diligence Checking acts as the umbrella body. We will provide you with more information on how to obtain an Enhanced Disclosure as part of an offer.

The RAD aims to create an inclusive working and studying environment. For onsite programmes of study, we wish to know if you have any health conditions or disabilities which might impair your ability to fulfil the requirements of your programme of study. Ahead of the programme start, we will ask you to complete a fitness to practice questionnaire, which will be passed onto an external Occupational Health professional for assessment. The questionnaire is designed to identify students who need additional support whilst enrolled in a Faculty of Education programme of study. Our aim is to be supportive of students with additional learning/support needs.

Please note that if you do have a disability as recognised and supported by the Disabled Students’ Allowance Quality Assurance Group (DSA - QAG), the fitness to practice questionnaire does not replace the assessment completed at one of the DSA-recognised assessment centres. As such, you will still have to go through this process in order to get DSA as well as reasonable adjustments in regards to submissions and exams.

Find out further information from UCAS on the support provided to disabled students while studying at university or college, as well as further pre and post application information.

UK-based students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance prior to starting on programme. Early application should enable us to get your institutional support up and running as soon as you arrive. You will find more information on the following pages:

All our programmes of study are delivered in English. If your first language is not English, you will most likely be asked to undertake an English language test to show that you know English well enough to study at Higher Education level. The requirements for your programme of choice can also be found on the specific programme pages. Most English language test organisations charge a fee and require you to travel to their centres for the test. The Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies and the Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma can also be studied in languages other than English. For both programmes, you need to ensure that you have the appropriate language skills in the delivery language.

One of the entry requirements for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE: DT with QTS) are the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy. On the Department for Education web page, you will find information on how to prepare and practice for the tests, how to book test sessions and what the fees are.    

If you are an overseas applicant who would like to join us here in London for the onsite BA (Hons) Ballet Education, it is most likely that you require a Tier 4 visa to stay in the UK for your studies. You will find information on the visa requirements and application process on the UK Visas and Immigrations website, where you can also assess your circumstances against the criteria outlined. Visa applicants who need to prove that their international qualification(s) meet the academic or English language requirements should obtain an official statement from UK NARIC. This information is used by UKVI to decide if the applicant meets the requirements of the Immigration Rules. There are quite a few costs involved in the visa application process, amongst others: a visa application fee, the healthcare surcharge, the NARIC statement fee, evidence of your financial position and travel to and from the visa application centre in your country.

Back to top ↑

Dance skills

All our programmes of study train students to be dance teachers. We, therefore, expect our students to have a certain level of dance skills before they study with us. For the RAD’s own ballet syllabus, for instance, there are several ways in which you can increase your knowledge of the Graded and Vocational Graded syllabus and improve your demonstration skills in preparation for your studies. 

For example, you can attend ballet classes by an RAD teacher in your area or undertake one of our CPD workshops on syllabus work. If you prefer to work through the syllabus yourself or live in a location without easy access to classes or workshops, the RAD syllabus is available in books, ebooks and DVDs.

Before your first day of study on the Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies (CBTS), you should already be able to demonstrate accuracy and have a very good working knowledge of the RAD syllabus from Pre-Primary to Intermediate. CBTS is a programme for first-time ballet teachers and is designed to introduce you to teaching and, specifically, to teaching the RAD syllabus. CBTS is not a forum for you to learn the different levels of the syllabus as we expect you to be able to embody the RAD syllabus before you start your studies. You should, therefore, have a good physical recall of the syllabus, including character work, and be able to use French ballet terminology and character vocabulary with ease.

In the first year, you will learn how to go about teaching the RAD syllabus in module CBTS403: Ballet and Teaching. This module allows you to gain knowledge and understanding of the essential structure of the RAD syllabi and how you would teach the syllabus to your own students.  It is not a syllabus class and therefore cannot replace your own personal training in ballet classes.

You are expected to know the Graded and Vocational Graded syllabus well enough in advance of CBTS403 and the Intensive Study Period (ten days) so that, during the module, you can focus on engaging in the in-depth study of key features of the syllabi. In preparation for your practical teaching placement in the second year, you will need to know, for instance, the differences between Graded and Vocational Graded work and the progressions between syllabus levels.

For the Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Dance, one of the requirements for the award is that students achieve the RAD Advanced 1 (2013) or the RAD Advanced 2 qualification in addition to being successful in the three programme modules and achieving an honours degree in dance or dance education. You can start the programme with RAD Intermediate or the equivalent but will need to have gained RAD Advanced 1 (2013) or RAD Advanced 2 by the time you reach LRAD6, i.e. the third module.

Back to top ↑

Computer equipment/skills

For your studies, you will need access to a computer and to a reliable internet connection. Study material and supporting documentation, such as guidance, policies, procedures and request forms are available on the Faculty of Education’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) via the internet. You will be given a personal log-in to the VLE at the beginning of your studies, which is linked to your email address. Please ensure that you have a personal email address, not a family or work address. It may be useful to set up a separate email address just for your studies so that you have a dedicated space to keep track of your communication with us. 

All programmes of study require students to write formative and summative assignments, such as study tasks, essays or presentations for instance.  You should therefore already have a certain level of computer skills in order to be able to use the usual set of computer software before you commence your studies.

We also suggest that you invest in a separate, external storage device with sufficient storage space in order to create backup copies of your work and research. Problems with your computer equipment or internet connection are not a satisfactory explanation for not submitting your final assignments on time and will not be accepted as extenuating circumstances. Onsite students have access to the Information Learning Technology Suite and Computer Suite at RAD headquarters.

If your studies require you to submit electronic portfolios or to give presentations, portable devices, such as USB sticks, could prove useful to take your data with you. Please ensure that you have more than one device in order to keep your private information and your study-related documentation separate and in order to be able to leave the device for a time with the Faculty of Education when you submit formative or summative assignments. The device may not be returned to you immediately after you have given it to us.

Back to top ↑

Time management

Distance-learning allows you to arrange the time you study around other things in your life, such as a family, a job, being a carer, or all three.  Whatever your circumstances, you will need good time management skills and you will need to set aside time each week during term time that is dedicated only to your studies. In order to plan your work, you may wish to set up a timetable for your studies, plotting your study hours around your other commitments during term time. Alternatively, you may decide to dedicate your weekends and one or two hours every weekday in the evening to your studies in order to fit them around your daytime job. Our tutors will help you keep on track by setting you deadlines for the submission of study tasks as the module progresses. You can arrange your studies in any way you like during term time. Please be aware that our general regulations do not allow students who are registered with us to undertake full-time study at another institution at the same time.

The Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE: DT with QTS) prepares you for teaching in the state sector in the UK. You will find it a very intensive and rewarding programme. In the two placements, one diagnostic and one final, you will teach 50% and 70% of a fully qualified teacher’s timetable, respectively. In addition, you will work on your assignments for the PGCE: DT and on collecting evidence to show that you meet the Teachers’ Standards for Qualified Teacher Status. You will need to be prepared to spend a good deal of your time outside of the school timetable on your assignments and on preparing for your next lessons. There will not be much time left for socialising, paid work or holiday travel.

Back to top ↑

Students’ Union

The Royal Academy of Dance is a member of the National Union of Students (NUS).
Usually, students on the onsite degree, BA (Hons) Ballet Education, elect an NUS representative on behalf of the student body. There are no students’ union facilities or offices at the RAD. Information from the NUS is circulated to students and posted in the student common area. For questions about the students’ union, please contact .

Back to top ↑

Data collection

Please be aware that the Faculty of Education provides personal student data to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Currently, data from students on the following programmes is returned to HESA:

  • BA (Hons) Ballet Education
  • BA (Hons) Dance Education, including the Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education and the Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Education with Qualified Teacher Status (including School Direct) 
  • Master of Arts in Education (Dance Teaching), including the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Dance Teaching) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Dance Teaching)

For further information, please read the Data Collection Notices on the HESA website

Back to top ↑