RADiate provides subsidised dance classes to children on the autism spectrum, including children with moderate to severe and complex learning difficulties, and those who are non-verbal.
RADiate delivers dance sessions to children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, including Autism Spectrum Disorder, Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties, and those on the Child Protection register. These sessions develop children’s personal strengths, boost their self-esteem, and encourage relaxation and fun.
We work to achieve this by:
- delivering fun, creative and sensory dance activities, underpinned by a coherent structure, enabling children to work alongside their peers and support staff to reach their full potential, and
- working in partnership with the school staff to ensure that children make progress at their own pace in a supportive and motivational environment.
Classes are delivered by a small team of highly-experienced teachers on a weekly basis at primary schools in London.
Many of the children find it difficult to engage in group activities. RADiate tutors are experienced in using activities which will attract the children into the group, so that taking part becomes a fun experience. This is done in close collaboration with the staff at each school.
RADiate students also benefit from
- a non-verbal way to express themselves and their individuality,
- development at their own pace,
- learning all the action words found in dance which can help the children to understand them better,
- the use of Makaton signing, to support language skills, along with a visual timetable, to let both children and support staff know what is going to happen and in what order,
- weekly classes, which give children the opportunity to make gradual progress within the routine and structure of the class, and
- a class which repeats moves each week and develops them slowly, as appropriate for children with autism who find change difficult.
We also offer a RADiate class at our headquarters in Battersea where students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities can discover the benefits of dance.
- Day: Wednesdays
- Time: 4-4:45pm
- Cost: £3 per session
Address: Royal Academy of Dance, 36 Battersea Square, London, SW11 3RA.
To enrol your child at our headquarters session, or to find out how RADiate sessions can benefit students at your school, use the form below to contact the team for more information.