Information about visiting Toronto, the host city for the Genée International Ballet Competition 2019
Some interesting facts about the Genée 2019 host city:
- Originally thought to have been a Huron word meaning ‘meeting place’, Toronto has since been ascribed to Mohawk origins – the word ‘tkaronto’ describing the location of a narrow stretch of water between Lake Simcoe and Lake Couchiching. French and British iterations of the name traded places with their respective shifts in influence, but the Legislative Council finally incorporated the name ‘Toronto’ in 1834.
- Toronto is the provincial capital of Ontario and the most populous city in Canada with a population in 2016 of 2.81 million. It is also the fourth-largest city in North America.
- Toronto is the safest metropolitan area in North America and has been ranked as the fourth ‘most livable’ city in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) in terms of safety, public transport, and cleanliness.
- Toronto is one of the largest culture centres in the world, featuring The National Ballet Company, The Canadian Opera Company, The Toronto Symphony Orchestra and, every September, the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), which was originally named ‘festival of festivals’. This festival has become an important event in the film awards season, with Oscar-winning films such as ‘Black Swan’, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and ‘American Beauty’ all premiering at TIFF. The festival has also featured ‘La La Land’ and Best Picture winners ‘The King’s Speech’ and ’12 Years a Slave’.
- Toronto has four partnership cities located across the world: Chicago, Illinois in the US, Chongqing in China, Frankfurt in Germany, and Milan in Italy. These cities were selected by city staff with a focus on economic development and a goal of fostering human contact and cultural exchange. Toronto also has several friendship cities, which were proposed by the community and backed by a member of Toronto City Council. These cities include Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, and Kiev in Ukraine.