6 June 2022 11:49
The world of dance recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours List
Among those recognised in this year's Queen's Birthday Honours are former Artistic Director of Northern Ballet, and RAD Trustee, David Nixon, who becomes a CBE, and centenarian RAD Registered Teacher, Angela Redgrave, who receives a BEM. Both receive their honours for services to dance.
David Nixon has a distinguished and award-winning career in ballet, both as a dancer and as an artistic director, having many of his works performed by leading companies around the world.
At a remarkable 104, Angela Redgrave has been dancing since the age of 10, and has been the principal of the Bristol School of Dancing since 1970.
You can read more about Angela's school as part of our RAD Voices series.
In the video below, she talks about her long career and her dance school.
Dance recipients for 2022
Here is a a full list of those recognised for their services to dance - congratulations to all on their well-deserved recognition.
- Mr Robert Frederick Strang NOBLE, Senior Executive, New Adventures and Cameron Mackintosh Limited. For services to the Performing Arts
- Ms Rosemary LEE, Choreographer. For services to Dance
- Ms Jasmin VARDIMON, Choreographer. For services to Dance
- Dr Chila Kumari Singh BURMAN, Artist. For services to Visual Art, particularly during Covid-19
- Miss Jeanefer JEAN-CHARLES, Choreographer. For services to Dance
- Mrs Etta Jane BERTSCHINGER (ETTA MURFITT), Dance Artist. For services to Dance
- Mr Michael COLEMAN. For services to Ballet
- Ms Sanjeevini DUTTA, Director, Kadam Dance. For services to Dance
- Miss Zoe Lesley GOLDING, Artistic Director, ZoieLogic Dance Theatre. For services to Dance
- Mrs Dolores Letitia HENRY-JENKINS (DOLLIE HENRY). For services to Dance
- Dr Chithra RAMAKRISHNAN, South Indian Classical Vocalist and Dancer, and Founder Director, British Carnatic Choir. For services to the Promotion of South Indian Classical Music and Dance
- Mr Paul Martin WILSON, Executive Director, TIN Arts. For services to Dance and to Inclusion in the Performing Arts Sector
- David Anthony NIXON OBE, Lately Artistic Director, Northern Ballet. For services to Dance
- Mrs Barbara Joanne MCCOLL STOPFORD, Dance Teacher. For services to Dance, particularly during Covid-19
- Mrs Grace Angela REDGRAVE, Principal, Bristol School of Dancing. For services to Dance
- Mr Jayesh Kumar Dayarambhai SOLANKI (JAY KUMAR SOLANKI). For services to Dance and to the community in Greater London