Step into Dance Ambassadors
The Step into Dance Ambassador Scheme provides talented and enthusiastic young people with the opportunity to learn new skills that will equip them to support a range of events, projects and performances we run throughout the academic year.
The scheme offers practical classes in a range of different dance styles & explores careers within the dance industry. Young people will develop their leadership skills and gain confidence in public, all whilst completing the Bronze Arts Award.
Past sessions have included:
- vlogging workshops with the Media Trust,
- dance critic writing,
- events planning and leadership workshops, and
- dance classes in a variety of styles including Bollywood, Capoeira, Afro, Contemporary, Street, and Commercial.
Applications for the 2022/23 school year have now closed. Please check back in the summer for information on how to apply for the 2023/24 school year.
Information for current Ambassadors
Step into Dance Ambassadors meet for regular training sessions at Royal Academy of Dance Headquarters:
Session 1: Sunday 15 January 2023
Session 2: Monday 13 February 2023 (During Feb Half-Term Week)
Session 3: Tuesday 14 February 2023 (During Feb Half-Term Week)
Session 4: Sunday 26 March 2023
Session 5: Sunday 23 April 2023
Session 6: Sunday 7 May 2023
Session 7: Sunday 11 June 2023
There are also opportunities to attend additional Step into Dance projects:
- Step into Dance Battle (Saturday 28 January 2023)
- Step Around Town (various dates/ locations in late April/ early May 2023)
- Step Live Festival (Tuesday 4 July)
We are asking you to make a commitment to yourself and your future by raising a £25 Commitment Fee, to participate in the Ambassador Scheme for the year. This covers all training sessions and Arts Award fees and is inspired by Sir Jack Petchey CBE, who invested his savings as a young man, setting himself on the successful path which led to the creation of the Jack Petchey Foundation.
Some ideas about how you may fundraise the Commitment Fee for yourself include:
- Work together with other friends who are participating in the Ambassador Scheme to hold a raffle, quiz, bake sale, coffee morning, performance evening, games tournament, bring and buy sale, etc.
- Do a sponsored event such as a run or sponsored silence.
- Ask your school if you can hold a non-uniform day, with £25 of the proceeds going towards your commitment fee, and the rest going to a charity of the school’s choice. You could partner with other students who want to participate to encourage your school to allow this.
- Start a Gofundme.
- If your school has a car park, ask them if you can hold a car wash.
- Charge a small fee for a dog walking service.
- Many supermarkets will allow you to pack customer’s shopping bags to raise money- speak to the manager of your local shop to find out if this would be possible.
“Not only has Step into Dance taught me about dancing, it’s also taught me all the jobs and careers I could go into” – 2021 Ambassador
“The workshops have been really fun and eye opening” – 2021 Ambassador
“If you’re passionate about dance you should go for it and join in” – 2021 Ambassador
Step Into Dance is a Royal Academy of Dance programme in partnership with the Jack Petchey Foundation, an organisation that empowers young people and widens their opportunities through grant giving and achievement recognition.