28 October 2023 - 29 October 2023
The Bedells Bursary 2023 - competitor applications
Enter The Bedells Bursary and you could win £1,000, and a further £250 in recognition of your own choreography.
Recognising young dancers’ excellence in artistic and technical achievement and providing opportunities for creativity, the bursary is named in honour of Phyllis Bedells, a founder member and vice-president of the RAD.
Open to young dancers, globally, who have passed the RAD Advanced 1 Examination with Distinction.
Entries are closed for 2023.
Book your seat in the audience for this special occasion below.
|Students who have passed RAD Advanced 1 (with Distinction)
|17 years or under
|£92 Candidate Entry Fee
|25 September 2023 12:00pm
Saturday 28 and Sunday 29 October 2023
Candidates must be available on both days, please refer to the Information Pack for further guidance on timings across the two days.
Other key dates:
Monday 25 September – the deadline by which to submit your online application, with the option to enter TBC (to be confirmed) in sections of the application.
Monday 9 October – the deadline by which you must confirm and submit your music and any amended or missing information.
Royal Academy of Dance
188 York Road
How to Enter
- Download and read the 2023 Candidate Information Pack (please note the updated Dancer’s Own guidance as of 7 August), to ensure you have all of the information required before you begin completing the online application form.
- Make your application online by clicking ‘Enter now’ as highlighted above, providing all the requested information.
- The fee of £92.00 must be paid at the time of application.
- All applications must be received by the closing date. Applicants who have taken the required examination but are still waiting for their result may apply provided that all other entry requirements are met. Applicants must advise by 25 September 2023 whether they are eligible to enter. Candidates who have not achieved the required examination result by 25 September will be refunded their entry fee.
- A short biography, of not more than 60 words, must be included with the application. Please include details of specific teachers or coaches who have been influential in your training if you feel this is appropriate to your biography.
- A short explanation of why the candidate has selected the variation they are to perform, and how they went about creating their Dancer’s Own, must also be included.
- Students may re-apply for the Bursary as many times as they wish, provided the entry requirements are met.
Candidates will receive confirmation that their application has been received; please note this is not confirmation of a place at this year’s Bursary. Candidates will be notified after the closing date at the end of September, as to whether or not they have secured a place. Please do not book any travel or accommodation prior to receiving confirmation.
Supported by the Mary Kipps Bequest, the bursary winner will receive £1,000.
The bursary also recognises the huge importance of nurturing and providing opportunities for creativity in young dancers with the Dancer’s Own section. This allows candidates to perform their own choreography. The Choreographic Award recognises the best of the Dancer’s Own choreography. Thanks to a bequest from the estate of the late Dr Ivor Guest, a monetary prize of £250 will be awarded.
The 2023 bursary will consist of:
- a non-syllabus class at Advanced 1 level,
- the performance of Dancer’s Own, and
- one Classical Repertoire variation
Applicants must fulfil the following:
- Be current members of the RAD
- Be of non-professional status
- Have passed the RAD Advanced 1 Examination with Distinction.
- The required Examination results must have been awarded by 25 September.
- Be aged 17 years or under on 25 September.
- Have not taken the RAD’s Advanced 2 Examination before 25 September.
- Masterclass tutor – Sarah Lamb
- Judges – Ashley Shaw and Ibrahim Önal
- Onstage bursary class tutor – Maria Rowland ARAD, PDTD
On Sunday 29 October, we welcome you to observe the on-stage class and a performance of two solos by each candidate.
Time: 10.45am – 3pm
Ticket fee: £18 inc. VAT
Candidate reservation: please note, 3 tickets are reserved for each Bursary candidate and further details will be sent with the confirmation that their application was successful.
For further information please email: email@example.com.
Photos by Foteini Christofilopoulou.