Step into Dance is going online! We’re offering young people from London, Essex and further afield the opportunity to learn a phrase with us over four weeks of online classes. At the end of each course we want participants to send us a film of them performing the routine, for the chance to appear in our montage video.
Classes are free and will be available in 4 styles:
Street Dance- beginners and improvers
The classes will provide you with technical street dance skills as well as the opportunity to learn a phrase which will be built on week by week. These sessions will be offered as two separate classes with differing difficulty levels.
Contemporary Dance – beginners and improvers
Our contemporary sessions will guide you through technical skills, creative tasks and the opportunity to learn a short dance phrase that would be built on over the next four weeks. These sessions will be offered as two separate classes with differing difficulty levels.
Creative Dance for SEND students
This creative dance online project will be led by an experienced inclusive practice Step into Dance practitioner and is primarily catered for students with SEND. The project will include creative tasks to develop a short dance phrase.
Step into Dance and Natasha Britton from Parable Dance have developed guidance to support an SEND young person to participate in these classes.
Learn the skills and tricks you need to prepare for a Street Dance Battle. The class will cover the basics of breaking as well as some technical skills.
Some courses have already begun but you can still sign up! We will send you the classes you’ve missed so you can catch up.
How to take part:
The project is tailored to young people aged 11-18 (25 for our SEND project) from London and Essex and you can sign up to take part now! Participants who complete the course will be given the chance to send a video of them performing their phrase to the Step into Dance team for the chance to appear in a compilation video of the routine.
You can take part in as many different styles as you want and sign up is now open.
Once you are signed up we will email you a link to the classes weekly. Videos will be released at 3pm on the following dates:
Contemporary Dance: Beginner
- 1st session: Wednesday 29 April
- 2nd session: Wednesday 6 May
- 3rd session: Wednesday 13 May
- 4th session: Wednesday 20 May
Street Dance: Beginner
- 1st session: Thursday 30 April
- 2nd session: Thursday 7 May
- 3rd session: Thursday 14 May
- 4th session: Thursday 21 May
Creative Dance: Inclusive project (SEND)
- 1st session: Tuesday 5 May
- 2nd session: Tuesday 12 May
- 3rd session: Tuesday 19 May
- 4th session: Tuesday 26 May
- 5th session: Tuesday 2 June
- 6th session: Tuesday 9 June
Please note these classes will be shorter (30 minutes), and are split over 6 weeks rather than 4.
- 1st session: Friday 15 May- available here
- 2nd session: Friday 22 May- available here
- 3rd session: Friday 29 May- available here
- 4th session: Friday 5 June
- 5th session: Friday 12 June
Street Dance: Improver
- 1st session: Tuesday 2 June
- 2nd session: Tuesday 9 June
- 3rd session: Tuesday 16 June
- 4th session: Tuesday 23 June
Contemporary Dance: Improver
- 1st session: Wednesday 3 June
- 2nd session: Wednesday 10 June
- 3rd session: Wednesday 17 June
- 4th session: Wednesday 24 June