Before you apply

Knowing what information you need to apply for a place with the RAD can seem daunting. The following allows you to plan for your application and understand what you need to be part of an expanding and exciting group of future dance teachers.

Planning your application

There are two routes to apply for a place on one of our programmes. One is through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service UCAS. UCAS is a UK-wide service for undergraduate and postgraduate Higher Education programmes of study. The other route is applying directly to us by using our own application documentation. There is no application fee if you are applying to the Faculty of Education directly but UCAS charges a fee to register with them.

Before you Apply you should consider Which programme? will help you decide which programme is for you. On the programme pages, you will find information on the programme delivery, content and assessment as well as entry requirements.

As you will see under ‘after you apply,’ the application process usually has several steps. Most of them involve the Faculty of Education directly. Depending on your programme of choice, you may also need to contact other organisations or agencies, in order to meet your offer conditions. Some steps of the application process have a payable fee or cost.

Most of our programmes will also ask for other qualifications. In a few instances, you may apply through a concessionary route if you do not already have or are currently studying for the required qualifications.

In addition to the entry requirements, we expect applicants to have certain skills and qualities. The selection criteria are tailored to each programme and tell you what we look for in applicants and how applicants can best show that they meet the criteria, and details regarding auditions, interviews, offers, registration and accommodation.

Usually, our applicants have some dance teaching experience before they study with us. However, if you do not have direct experience as a dance teacher before you apply for a place on one of our programmes, there are still things you can do to prepare. You can offer to be a chaperone or class assistant at the dance school where you go to classes yourself. You can observe your own dance teacher: how do they teach your class? How do they correct you and the other students in your class? How do they introduce new steps or dance routines? How do they manage behaviour in and outside of the dance studio?

Some of our programmes of study hold auditions as part of the application process. Auditions normally take place at RAD headquarters in London. If we invite you to an audition, there is usually an audition fee to be paid to registry. Please plan your travel, and if you need accommodation, in advance. If you are an overseas applicant and are sending an audition video, you’ll have to meet the cost of posting your video and supporting documentation to us and of the telephone interview.

Successful applicants are made an offer of a place on the programme. The offer normally has conditions that tend to reflect the entry requirements for the programme of study. If you are offered a place and would like to accept it, you are required to pay a non-refundable registration fee for most programmes to secure the place. Please check whether the registration fee is required in your case aswell as ‘how to pay‘. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your application, please contact the registrar directly.

If you receive a conditional offer of a place for one of our programmes, you may find the following information useful on how to go about meeting the conditions of the offer:

The minimum requirement for all our programmes of study is Intermediate (or the equivalent) in dance or ballet. For most programmes, you will be required to provide evidence of your skills in dance or ballet by providing us with a dance examination certificate. As you probably know already, dance societies have set examination dates and centres and charge an examination fee. If you have never taken a dance examination, please read our general regulations on mature students, whether you can meet the dance entry requirement for your programme of choice by concessionary entry, and what the conditions, deadlines and fees are.

Some of our programmes require that applicants provide us with a recent satisfactory police or criminal records check. Registry will need to see the original of your police or criminal records check before your programme starts. The time it takes for the check to be issued can vary greatly from country to country. Please make sure you request it on time. In most countries, the authorities charge a fee for the service. If you live in the UK, it is most likely that you will need a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) or that you are registered with the DBS update service. Applications for Enhanced Disclosure are made through an umbrella body that is registered with the DBS. For the RAD, Due Diligence Checking (DDC) acts as the umbrella body. We will provide you with more information on how to obtain an Enhanced Disclosure as part of an offer.

The RAD aims to create an inclusive working and studying environment. For onsite programmes of study, we wish to know if you have any health conditions or disabilities which might impair your ability to fulfil the requirements of your programme of study. Ahead of the programme start, we will ask you to complete a fitness to practice questionnaire, which may be passed onto an external Occupational Health professional for assessment. The questionnaire is designed to identify students who need additional support whilst enrolled in a Faculty of Education programme of study. Our aim is to be supportive of students with additional learning/support needs.

Please note that if you do have a disability as recognised and supported by the Disabled Students’ Allowance Quality Assurance Group (DSA – QAG), the fitness to practice questionnaire does not replace the assessment completed at one of the DSA-recognised assessment centres. As such, you will still have to go through this process in order to get DSA as well as reasonable adjustments in regards to submissions and exams.

Find out further information from UCAS on the support provided to disabled students while studying at university or college, as well as further pre and post application information.

UK-based students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance prior to starting on programme. Early applications should enable us to get your institutional support up and running as soon as you arrive. You will find more information on the following pages:

All our programmes of study are delivered in English. If your first language is not English, you will most likely be asked to undertake an English language test to show that you know English well enough to study at Higher Education level. The requirements for your programme of choice can also be found on the specific programme pages. Most English language test organisations charge a fee and require you to travel to their centres for the test. The Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies and the Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma can also be studied in languages other than English. For both programmes, you need to ensure that you have the appropriate language skills in the delivery language.

One of the entry requirements for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE:DT with QTS) are the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy. On the Department for Education web page, you will find information on how to prepare and practice for the tests, how to book test sessions and what the fees are.

If you are an overseas applicant who would like to join us here in London for the onsite BA (Hons) Ballet Education, it is most likely that you require a Tier 4 visa to stay in the UK for your studies. You will find information on the visa requirements and application process on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website, where you can also assess your circumstances against the criteria outlined.Visa applicants who need to prove that their international qualification(s) meet the academic or English language requirements should obtain an official statement from UK NARIC. This information is used by UKVI to decide if the applicant meets the requirements of the Immigration Rules. There are quite a few costs involved in the visa application process, amongst others: a visa application fee, the healthcare surcharge, the NARIC statement fee, evidence of your financial position, and travel to and from the visa application centre in your country.

Dance skills

All our programmes of study train students to be dance teachers. We, therefore, expect our students to have a certain level of dance skills before they study with us. For the RAD’s own ballet syllabus, for instance, there are several ways in which you can increase your knowledge of the Graded and Vocational Graded syllabus and improve your demonstration skills in preparation for your studies.

For example, you can attend ballet classes by an RAD teacher in your area or undertake one of our CPD workshops on syllabus work. If you prefer to work through the syllabus yourself or live in a location without easy access to classes or workshops, the RAD syllabus is available in books, e-books and DVDs.

Computer/equipment skills

For your studies, you will need access to a computer and to a reliable internet connection. Study material and supporting documentation, such as guidance, policies, procedures and request forms are available on the Faculty of Education’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) via the internet. You will be given a personal log-in to the VLE at the beginning of your studies, which is linked to your email address. Please ensure that you have a personal email address, not a family or work address. It may be useful to set up a separate email address just for your studies so that you have a dedicated space to keep track of your communication with us.

All programmes of study require students to write formative and summative assignments, such as study tasks, essays or presentations for instance. You should therefore already have a certain level of computer skills in order to be able to use the usual set of computer software before you commence your studies. If you are not familiar with computers or the internet or have not used them in a long time, you may find a refresher course ahead of time helpful.

We also suggest that you invest in a separate, external storage device with sufficient storage space in order to create backup copies of your work and research. Problems with your computer equipment or internet connection are not a satisfactory explanation for not submitting your final assignments on time and will therefore not be accepted as extenuating circumstances. Onsite students have access to the Information Learning Technology Suite and Computer Suite at RAD headquarters.

If your studies require you to submit electronic portfolios or to give presentations, for example, portable devices, such as USB sticks, could prove useful to take your data with you. Please ensure that you have more than one device in order to keep your private information and your study-related documentation separate and in order to be able to leave the device for a time with the Faculty of Education when you submit formative or summative assignments. The device may not be returned to you immediately after you have given it to us.

The Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE:DT with QTS) prepares you for teaching in the state sector in the UK. You will find it a very intensive and rewarding programme. In the two placements, one diagnostic and one final, you will teach 50% and 70% of a fully qualified teacher’s timetable respectively. In addition, you will work on your assignments for the PGCE:DT and on collecting your evidence to show that you meet the Teachers’ Standards for Qualified Teacher Status. You will need to be prepared to spend a good deal of your time outside of the school timetable on your assignments and on preparing your next lessons. There will not be much time left for socialising, paid work or holiday travel.

Students’ union

The Royal Academy of Dance is a member of the National Union of Students (NUS).

Usually, students on the onsite degree, BA (Hons) Ballet Education, elect an NUS representative on behalf of the student body. There are no students’ union facilities or offices at the RAD. Information from the NUS is circulated to students and posted in the student common area. For questions about the students’ union, please contact

Data collection

Please be aware that the Faculty of Education provides personal student data to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Currently, data from students on the following programmes is returned to HESA:

  • BA (Hons) Ballet Education
  • BA (Hons) Dance Education, including the Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education and the Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Education with Qualified Teacher Status (including School Direct)
  • Master of Arts in Education (Dance Teaching), including the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Dance Teaching) and the Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Dance Teaching)

For further information, please read the data collection notices on the HESA website.


Find out about what you will need to think about prior to application.
Find out more


See what additional skills you will need to succeed on our programmes.
Find out more

Facilities and Equipment

Information about our facilities and equipment to consider purchasing before study
Find out more

Official Bodies

Higher Education bodies you will have contact with.
Find out more