Silver Swans Workshop
The RAD’s Silver Swans is an established and exciting business opportunity for experienced ballet teachers to expand their expertise and tap into the growing adult dance market. Silver Swans Workshops are informed and guided by research undertaken by the RAD’s Faculty of Education on the benefits of dance classes for older learners, and equip you to deliver licensed ballet classes aimed at over 55s.
With over 900 Silver Swans Licensees across the UK, USA, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, Mexico and Canada teaching Silver Swans is a globally recognised brand in ballet classes for older learners.
What will Silver Swans Workshops consist of?
Silver Swans workshops introduce experienced ballet teachers to the principles which guide Silver Swans, with a focus on devising and delivering safe and inclusive ballet classes for older learners, and strategies, which engage students with diverse experiences and abilities. The workshop sessions aim to provide practical experience of effective ballet teaching strategies for a group of mixed-ability older learners. On completion, you will have:
- an understanding of Silver Swans and the responsibilities and expectations of licence holders,
- an awareness of a range of ballet teaching strategies and the benefits of these strategies in relation to the Silver Swans,
- a greater understanding of how to safely modify and deliver ballet repertoire for older learners, and
- a knowledge and understanding of appropriate progression, differentiation and integration considerations for adults of mixed ability.
Participation in Silver Swans workshops is open to ballet teachers wishing to find out more about approaches to teaching ballet to older learners, with a view of becoming a Silver Swans Licensee. On completion of the workshop, RAD Registered Teachers will be automatically granted the Silver Swans licence. All other teachers who currently teach ballet, and who wish to be considered for the Silver Swans licence, will be asked to indicate their interest in the licence upon registration for the workshops. Confirmation of eligibility for a licence will be based on the observations of the Silver Swans tutor delivering the sessions. The tutor will observe the participant’s secure demonstration of ballet teaching, as detailed in the list of competencies below.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of ballet technique;
- Knowledge and understanding of the content and progressions of ballet vocabulary to at least Intermediate level (non-syllabus specific);
- Knowledge and understanding of how to create and deliver effective ballet class content;
- Demonstrate an appropriate understanding of learning and teaching strategies applicable to ballet teaching;
- Demonstrate the ability to teach ballet effectively and safely using practical demonstration as appropriate;
- Communicate effectively through verbal and non-verbal skills;
Teachers that have indicated their interest and are deemed eligible for the licence will be notified within 30 days following the workshop.
Benefits of the licence
The Silver Swans licence entitles you to:
- deliver Silver Swans branded ballet classes
- use the Silver Swans Licensee logo in promoting your classes
- access the Silver Swans marketing toolkit with resources to help you promote your classes
- be listed on the Silver Swans global map
- a discount on Silver Swans® dancewear for yourself and your Silver Swans
What will a Silver Swans Workshop cost me?
Silver Swans Licensees are required to renew their licence annually, no later than the renewal date, to remain a Silver Swan Licensee.
You will be invoiced by our Membership team within 30 days of completing the Silver Swans Workshop for the cost of the annual licence fee as follows:
- RAD Registered Teachers receive a 100% discount on the licence fee, and will therefore pay no fee for the year.
- RAD Member Plus and RAD Members receive a 50% discount on the licence fee and will be invoiced £57/€71 for the year.
- Non-Members pay the full licence fee and will be invoiced £118/€140 for the year.
If you have any questions about licence payments or renewals, please contact email@example.com or your national office if based in the USA, Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
2023 Silver Swans Workshops
Please keep an eye on this page for updates.
Adding your Silver Swans classes to the Silver Swans Global Map
All current Silver Swans Licensees can be found on our global map. If you are a teacher and your details do not appear on the map, or you would like to update them, please complete this form.
Terms & Conditions and Code of Conduct
- For Licensee queries related to a scheduled Silver Swans Workshop, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For queries related to licensee benefits or licensee payment issues, please e-mail email@example.com or a National Membership Office if based in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or, South Africa.
- For queries related to licensee Moodle access, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information regarding Silver Swans classes near you, please see the Silver Swans online map.
- For sponsorship queries, please e-mail email@example.com.