Become an RAD Registered Teacher
Join the RAD’s worldwide network of qualified dance teachers and become part of a professional, international community. If you’re actively teaching, take advantage of our international reputation and further your career with our Continuing Professional Development activities.
This category provides you with accredited status as an RAD Registered Teacher and gives you access to a range of resources to help your professional teaching career, many of which have been actively developed to support you throughout the pandemic and beyond.
Membership fee £143/€161
Graduate rate £129/€145
What you gain
Enter candidates for RAD exams and register your own school as an RAD exam centre. Market yourself on our Find a Teacher map. Show off your qualified status with use of the post nominal RAD RTS after your name alongside the RAD Teachers’ logo and a Teaching registration certificate, all of which are recognised internationally.
Benefits and discounts
As an RAD Registered Teacher you will access exclusive content in the Members’ Area such as exams resources, important updates and teaching resources. As a member you’ll receive regular e-newsletters straight to your inbox bursting with up to date news and information, and you can access our online Global Jobs Board listing global vacancies and opportunities for RAD Registered Teachers. We have moved our benefits and services online, reducing our environmental impact, and we have introduced digital membership cards and the all-new digital Dance Gazette, which members will receive via email.
Our teachers are also entitled to:
- an exclusive 20% discount in the RAD Shop both online and in store
- 30% discount on FREED uniform wear
- substantial discounts on CPD courses, and
- 20% off dance studio and room bookings
There’s even more
In addition to accessing the services and tools that you need for your professional membership, you can also have fun entering member-only competitions, such as our annual photo competition. Other extras include the ability to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and the opportunity to become an Associate of the RAD (ARAD), as well as priority booking on select international events and access to the Philip Richardson Library. Terms and conditions apply.
Teachers should hold one of the following university-validated, RAD awards or routes. Current Offered Programmes/Routes:
- Master of Arts in Education (Dance Teaching)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education: Dance Teaching with Qualified Teacher Status
- BA (Hons) Ballet Education
- BA (Hons) Dance Education*
- Diploma of Higher Education: Ballet Education
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education*
- Professional Dancers’ Postgraduate Teaching Certificate
- Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma
- Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Dance
- Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies
- Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies
- Pathway to Registered Teacher Status
- RAD Access Route with an approved degree from an RAD partnership institution
Previously Offered Programmes:
- BA (Hons) Classical Ballet Teaching
- BA (Hons) Art and Teaching of Ballet
- RAD Teaching Diploma
- RAD Teaching Certificate
- BA (Hons) Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
* Graduates from these programme must have obtained RAD Intermediate or equivalent in ballet and taken option module BDE505 in a ballet context.
** The RTS portfolio is no longer offered. For those who commenced their studies in the academic year 2017/18 or before the portfolio was eligible for submission within five years of graduation. For those who commenced their studies in academic year 2018/19 and 2019/20 the portfolio was eligible for submission within their period of registration.
Teachers reinstating their memberships will be charged an additional fee. These fees have been temporarily suspended until August 2022, due to the pandemic.
RAD teaching members should put in place as a minimum, a robust Safeguarding and Child Protection policy, safeguarding training and criminal record checks for you, your staff and volunteers. As a member you will have access to our Safeguarding Hub in the Members’ Area to support you with this, as well as safer recruitment practices.