RAD Registered Teacher eligibility
To apply as an RAD Registered Teacher, you should hold one of the following university-validated, RAD awards or routes. Current Offered Programmes/Routes:
- Master of Arts in Education (Dance Teaching)
- BA (Hons) Ballet Education
- BA (Hons) Dance Education*
- Diploma of Higher Education: Ballet Education
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education*
- Professional Dancers’ Postgraduate Teaching Certificate
- Professional Dancers’ Teaching Diploma
- Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Dance
- Diploma in Dance Teaching Studies
- Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies
- Certificate in Dance Teaching (Ballet) from 2024
- Pathway to Registered Teacher Status
- RAD Access Route with an approved degree from an RAD partnership institution
*Graduates from these programmes must have successfully taken option module BDE505 in a ballet context.
Previously offered programmes
- BA (Hons) Classical Ballet Teaching
- BA (Hons) Art and Teaching of Ballet
- RAD Teaching Diploma
- RAD Teaching Certificate
- BA (Hons) Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
- Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education commenced prior to academic year 2020/21 with successful RTS Portfolio**
**The RTS portfolio is no longer offered. For those who commenced their studies in the academic year 2017/18 or before the portfolio was eligible for submission within five years of graduation. For those who commenced their studies in academic year 2018/19 and 2019/20 the portfolio was eligible for submission within their period of registration.
RAD Safeguarding Requirements
The RAD are committed to putting the wellbeing of students, teachers and staff first, and to ensuring that children, young people, and vulnerable or at risk adults are protected from harm.
By joining the RAD as a Registered Teacher, you are committing to meet the following safeguarding requirements at the point of application and at the point of renewal:
- Provide an up-to-date CV and professional references upon request (for new and reinstating applicants only)
- Obtain a criminal record check
- Self-declare any criminal convictions to the RAD
- Participate in annual safeguarding training as part of your CPD hours
These requirements are integrated into the CPD scheme and you will be asked to make your declaration upon application as a new or reinstating RAD Registered Teacher. Don’t worry if you have not met these requirements we will support you. See our FAQs to find out how.