Resources to support you
Below are a variety of resources aimed at supporting students, parents and teachers on their journey in dance.
Advice and inspiration
- Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador about his experience of being the only male dancer in a sea of pink.
- Boys in Ballet, by Matthew Lawrence.
- Winner of the Project B Dance Challenge, James Bamford, shares his perspective on the stigma surrounding boys in dance.
Watch the video.
- A teenager who took up dancing on the advice of his singing teacher has stunned some of the biggest names in ballet.
- Famous male stars with a background in ballet
A BBC article highlighting male stars who have a background in ballet, including Rio Ferdinand and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Mentoring for Dancers, Teachers and Choreographers
One Dance UK offers mentoring schemes for dancers, teachers and choreographers.
- Why are so many male dance students still bullied today?
Read this article ‘How to cope if your being bullied’ from Dance Magazine.
- Ditch the Label is an international anti-bullying charity. Visit their website to view articles and support guides here. Or visit their Support Community where you can register for help from a trained mentor.
- Advice from Matthew Lawrence on teaching boys. Read here.
- Preventing Bullying online CPD course
This online programme aims to help you understand, recognise and prevent bullying behaviour – who may be affected, the effects of bullying, and how to prevent bullying in organisations, as well as what you can do as an individual to play your part. This online activity is worth 4 hours of Time-Valued CPD and can be completed in your own time. Find more information and book your place.