25 June 2023 10.30am – 5pm
Syllabus Strategies: Focus on Grades 4 and 5 (London, UK and Online)
A one-day practical course in which participating teachers will gain an understanding of how to teach the Grades 4 and 5 syllabi. Learning activities will focus on creating appropriate development exercises to encourage an accurate interpretation of the criteria used in the mark scheme of the examination.
The Syllabus Strategies course is designed to:
- Look in depth at the philosophy of the work,
- Offer a chance to improve understanding of specific areas within the syllabus, particularly in regards to technical, musical and performance aspects of the work, as identified by examiners during examinations,
- Reflect on the relevance and interpretation of the assessment criteria in selected exercises and dances,
- Provide a platform to discuss, explore and develop strategies to strengthen areas of the work,
- Support the creation of development exercises for Grades 4 and 5 students by defining the requisite skills and knowledge to do so, and
- Participants at the course will be better able to understand the ‘how’ of teaching the syllabus, increase knowledge of the assessment criteria and gain insight into how the candidates are generally coping in the examinations.
You will be able to:
- demonstrate, physically and/or through explanation, an understanding of the technique/s at each level, and
- discuss the relevance and interpretation of the assessment criteria in selected exercises and dances.
You will have knowledge and understanding of:
- approaches to help your learners develop the necessary strength and understanding to achieve the requirements of the assessment criteria in the examination.
You can participate in-person or online.
In-person: RAD headquarters, London SW11 3JZ
Online: You will access the course via Zoom. You will receive further information within five working days prior to the start date. This course will not be recorded for later access. If you are booking outside of the UK, please check your time zone against BST (British Summer Time).
Participants should have knowledge of the exercises and dances of the RAD Grades 4 and 5 syllabi.
Kim Frost RAD teaching cert, L.I.S.T.D, NBS teaching Dip.
Kim trained at the Northern Ballet School in Manchester. After graduating, she gained valuable performance experience dancing in professional shows and on cruise ships before returning to her hometown of Barnsley, South Yorkshire to begin her teaching career.
She is the Principal of the Kim Frost School of Dance and has 26 years of experience teaching all age groups, from toddler dance to vocational grades and adult dance classes. Kim qualified as a CPD tutor in 2017 and is looking forward to restarting face-to-face courses again.
Kim lives in Barnsley with her husband and two daughters. When she is not dancing, she enjoys long walks with her Border Collie, Teddy, in the Yorkshire countryside and spending quality time with her family.
8 hours Time-Valued CPD
Members of the Royal Academy of Dance receive discounts on all CPD activities.
How to book
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the above, please contact the CPD Team, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about this activity, please email email@example.com
Please note, online participation is sold out. Places in-person are available.
Book now (Sterling, in-person)
Book now (Euro, in-person)
Book now (US Dollars, in-person)
|10.30am – 5pm||Member Fee: £107/€124/$129 |
Non-Member Fee: £150/€174/$181